Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2011

USS Iowa

I have caught a few of the news reports the past few days about the USS Iowa being moved from the mothball fleet in Suisun Bay, refurbished, and then eventually sent to Southern California to be on display as a museum. Yesterday morning, everyone in my area at work noticed the large ship being moved through San Pablo Bay down to Richmond.

When the news report came up again last night, I thought to myself..."hmmm...I should try to find it and see if there are any good timelapse shots." So, I threw on my hoodie and a large sweatshirt, and off I went. I eventually found the battleship docked along the inlet near Harbour Way in Richmond, just south of the railroad tracks and just north of Hall Avenue. There was a large transport vessel just north of the ship, and some dredging occurring just south.

I decided to see if there was a better shot on the other side of the inlet, but unfortunately, there are too many refinery or automotive staging areas along the inlet. This area was a vast port area in the past, and still maintains some of the shipping activity in this cove.

So, I went back to Harbour Way and lined up the best shot I could get. I parked right under the street light next to The Canery, dug out my zoom lens, and set up the parameters. Unfortunately, after getting home and looking at the series of shots, someone forgot to turn off the stabilizer. Thus, the camera appears to go through a 30 minute earthquake over the 5-6 second timelapse. It is quite an eerie series, but it was not quite what I was looking for.

I just shot off an email to the USS Iowa organizers in the hopes of gaining dock access, but until then, this will likely be my best vantage point.

No comments:

Post a Comment