Pages

Friday, September 23, 2011

The Gate

I was back at work today after traveling back from China yesterday.  I tried to leave at a respectable time, but with the horrible jet lag, I made it out of work and home just in time to see the sun setting over the Bay Area hills.  The marine layer does this mystical dance along the coast, especially through the Golden Gate.  Thus, I decided to set up shop and catch the clouds playfully move through the majestic scene.

Nine minutes after picking up The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, though, the fog had basically surrounded my area and started depositing water droplets on both my camera and lens.  Doh!

I am not an expert on camera maintenance, but I knew that touching the lens was bad.  It's right up there with crossing streams.  Just don't do it!  Unfortunately, I did it anyway, but tried to touch it gently in order to wipe away the excess water.

After looking through the camera and determining that the image looked OK, I set up for another shot to watch the fog move through the marina.  (As long as the focus isn't set for close shots, anything on the surface of the lens won't show up in the picture unless it's right in the very middle.) 

I'm still trying to figure out how to put together a time lapse with shots that take over 3-5 seconds to develop.  It seems like the clouds that aren't super far away get really blurry at that time period, but any less exposure time doesn't typically allow in enough light.

No comments:

Post a Comment