Pages

Saturday, September 24, 2011

On the Water

I had a gathering in Alameda this evening that ended around the time the sun was going down.  With the Alameda waterfront lending itself a fantastic view of downtown San Francisco and the Bay Bridge, I figured I would give it a go.  I first scanned the view from my perch in Alameda, but the view of the bridge was slightly obstructed.  I figured I could get a closer shot from the northern part of the island, which is, unfortunately, the old Alameda Naval Base.

I drove around the northern end of Alameda, but couldn't find a clear shot, nor an entrance onto the old naval airfield.  I looked at the map on my iPhone and saw a small park on the other side of the thin sliver of water between Alameda and Oakland.  I made my way off the island and around the maze of shipping containers to arrive at the small park.  I parked my car, but noticed the sign indicating the park curfew from 10pm until 5am.  It was just after 9pm, and I figured I could walk out to the end of the park and see what view was available.  As I was making my way, the park's guard made his way along the path I was headed.  I asked him if it was OK to be out there, and he said it was...and that I might be able to stay out a little longer since his replacement came on at 10pm.

I continued along the park path, and soon noticed a pier at the very end.  As I got closer, I noticed two fishermen conversing.  I could also hear them talking about me as I approached, noticing that I was a photographer.

I set up shop on the furthest spot out with the best view.  After playing with the settings, I set the intervalometer and was up and running within a few minutes.  The sky started out with just a few clouds rolling by, but near the end, it seemed to glow with an abundance of fluffiness.

As the series of shots continued, though, I noticed that the pier would slightly shift throughout the run.  I was worried that the shots would looked blurry if the pier moved while the shutter was open.  After looking through the pictures, though, it looks like things turned out fine.

After heading home, I decided to get one last shot in for the night.  I've noticed the marina has very interesting views with the boat masts, and I figured another nighttime shot in the marina would be nice.  I tried to get the best angle looking down the planks, but this was the best I could manage.  When I watch the timelapse, the boats seem to move in this eerie motion that's kinda cool, but the clouds moving by are dark and overshadowed by the looming boat movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment